Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Busy Working Mom?

This post was written by Cindy Pirtle, head of research and development at Homemade Gourmet....you can see this and more on HG's offical blog at www.homemadegourmet.com/marylou


Are you a busy working Mom? Ok, you fit into this category even if you work out of your home. I do that and sometimes it is harder than actually going to an office everyday! (Especially like yesterday, which was a school holiday, so I am trying to work with two girls, yelling, “She’s touching me!”)

I know I have said it before, but really two concepts have kept my family eating well and me from losing my mind. (Don’t say it . . . you have to have a mind Cindy before you can lose it. Ha ha ha) Ok, so the two concepts:


1. 4 meals in 4 minutes - literally saving all kinds of money by purchasing meat and canned goods in bulk and filling my freezer. Not only did I save money on my purchases, I save everday because I already have choices and I do not have to freak out on what to make for dinner and then resort to pizza or drive thrus.


2. Cooking a bunch of meat all at once. Now, I know that I am in Houston so that I have an advantage in that here it is February and I am using my grill outside, but you can use an indoor grill as well. One day a week, I defrost 3-4 different kinds of meat, grill it all at the same time and save loads of time for the rest of my week.

So, for example, this past week, 1. Pork Chops seasoned with oil and 2-3 tablespoons of Maria’s Salsa mix. (The mix, not the prepared salsa.) WOW! 2. Chicken Breasts seasoned with oil and 2-3 tablespoons of Kansas City Seasoning. Double WOW! 3. Crab claws steamed on the grill in a foil pack with butter and 2-3 tablespoons Garlic Lemon Seasoning. (Admission time: I didn’t even fix a plate, I ate these standing at the counter over the trash can. The whole package was 9.29 at Sam’s and my husband and I made ourselves sick eating the entire pack! But, WOW, WOW, WOW! 4. Italian Sausages (I grilled these and later in the week I mixed a can of diced tomatoes with 2 tablespoons Garlic Basil Seasoning in a skillet, added sausages to reheat and served in hot dog buns! 5 minutes and DONE!


I had everything grilled in less than 20 minutes and that provided the meat for 4 meals! Which isn’t really true, because we had leftover pork chops and bbq chicken. I cut up the chicken and mixed it with frozen veggies, instant rice, cream of chicken soup and some milk and baked it for a yummy casserole. The left over pork chops got cut up in a big salad that had my entire produce drawer in it!


If you are a busy working Mom, please, please, please give 4 meals in 4 minutes an opportunity to feed your family great tasting food fast and save you time, money, energy and your sanity!
Do you have time saving ideas to help? Write and let me know.
Cindy

No comments: