Friday, April 11, 2008

Natural food vs Organic foods

I attended a healthy eating seminar this week and it really opened my eyes to the type of foods we expose our children to every day. So, naturally every thing that sparks interest to me I have to 'investigate' (which means I do lots of reading/research).

I've been interested in the Organic craze, but never took the time to really learn about it until recently. Also, I've seen the word 'Natural' on some of the foods that I've been purchasing lately. Natural sounded great so I just started picking it up...mainly lunch meat. In my search for answers I came across this article (written by: the Food Marketing Institute)
that states the differences between Organic and Natural foods. For the full article to go: http://www.fmi.org/media/bg/natural_organic_foods.pdf

The great thing about cooking with my Homemade Gourmet seasonings is that I'm able to choose the type of ingredients I use. I can use organic , or low sodium soup, fresh or frozen tomatoes, low fat or fat free varieties, and/or Natural food items. I'm so excitied that HG brought in a Registered Dietitian to our staff! Keep your eye on our Kitchen Connect magazines for Susie's healthier versions of our Homemade Gourmet recipes!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Are natural and organic foods the same?

No. The term “natural” is not regulated except for meat and poultry. It applies
broadly to foods that are minimally processed and free of synthetic
preservatives; artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors and other artificial additives;
hydrogenated oils; stabilizers; and emulsifiers. Most foods labeled
natural are not subject to government controls beyond the regulations and
heath codes that apply to all foods.

The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requires natural
meat and poultry to be free of artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives
and ingredients. These products must be minimally processed in
a method that does not fundamentally change them. The label must also
explain the use of the term natural such as no artificial ingredients. Labeling
meat and poultry products natural does not refer to how the sources of
those foods were raised.

“Organic” refers not only to the food itself, but also to how it was
produced. Foods labeled organic must meet or exceed the regulations of
the National Organic Program (NOP), which took effect October 21, 2002.
They must be grown and processed using organic farming methods that recycle
resources and promote biodiversity. Crops must be grown without
using synthetic pesticides, bioengineered genes, petroleum-based fertilizers
and sewage sludge-based fertilizers. Organic livestock must have access
to the outdoors and be given no antibiotics or growth hormones.
Organic foods may not be irradiated.

No comments: