Wednesday, June 4, 2008

7 Things Your Boss Doesn’t Want You to Know
About Working at Home!


by Carrie Wilkerson, “The Barefoot Executive”

• There are HUGE tax advantages! Things like technology, vehicle use, long
distance and a portion of your home operating costs can often be deducted
(check with your tax advisor for specifics—this is NOT a comprehensive list)

• Meetings are largely unnecessary. What are we really accomplishing when we
gather, eat donuts, read from an agenda and banter about the thoughts we
discussed at the last departmental meeting? Seriously, do you remember the
last time that actual ACTION was taken at a meeting?

• EVERY day is casual Friday! Guess what?! No one cares what you’re wearing
when you are working from a “virtual office.” Sometimes pantyhose just don’t
FEEL productive! I’m at my best when I’m in comfy yoga pants and barefoot!

• We are more effective without a cubicle. When you are comfortable in your
environment...you will perform better. My workspace overlooks my beautiful
backyard. I typically have a candle lit and some great music playing...all things
that are frowned upon in cubicle-ville. (I won’t even mention the times I have
Sesame Street in the background or “coffee” breaks with juice & animal
crackers :)

• “Making a living” is NOT the same as “making a life!” Imagine setting your ideal
schedule; prioritizing your tasks; achieving personal goals; enjoying more
quality (& quantity) time with your family & friends...NOW, THAT’S LIVING!


• You are Responsible for Your Own Income! ...If YOU own the business, YOU
determine how much you make (or don’t make). This can be thrilling or
terrifying, depending on how you look at it! When I was in the “normal” working
world, my husband said, “you’re great at making money for other people—how
about you make some for us?” (LIGHT BULB!) Now I prefer knowing that my
personal income is directly equivalent to my consistent effort!

• Gas, Childcare, Dry-Cleaning and Eating Out are gobbling up your paycheck!
(Do I even need to expand on this one?) What is REALLY left of your wages
when you subtract childcare, fuel, increased auto insurance, wear & tear on
your vehicle, lunches out, office gifts, takeout for dinner and dry-cleaning the
wardrobe you are required to wear?

Close your eyes and visualize this…walking to work by way of your own coffee pot instead of
Starbucks…in your favorite at-home clothes…ready to tackle your priority list without the
interruptions of last night’s virtual reality show re-cap, water cooler gossip or the latest office
drama….Imagine lunch with your spouse, child or favorite gal pal!

Could you get excited about actually enjoying the home that you are spending so much money
on? (Ironic that our mortgage is often our largest expense and we have to work so many
hours AWAY from it to pay FOR it!)

Homemade Gourmet has given me many of the freedoms from above...let me help you start on yours!

www.homemadegourmet.com/marylou

No comments: