Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tonight's Dinner

Today we had German Pork Chops. I got this recipe from the 4 meals in 4 minutes planner that you can find in this month's Kitchen Connection Magazine. This planner has a juice theme. I must admit that I didn't have any interest in this recipe. I wasn't sure how HG Sunday Roast and apple juice would compliment one another. I heard from others that the German Pork Chops were very good, so I thought I should at least try it once. Last week I got my pork chops and chicken breast on sale. After getting home from the grocery store I made 7 meals for my freezer. I did this while the kids were playing baseball with their dad. Tonight was the big test....what would my husband think of this new recipe. He said they were Really Good! All I can say is that I have found another meal that will always be included when I fill my freezer. The pork chops were awesome. They had just a tad bit of sweetness to them. I usually season my pork chops with HG Sunday Roast and a can of cream of mushroom, but I totally love the apple juice instead! I served this meal with corn on the cob and skillet potatoes.

For Dessert I made Easy Apple Dumplings. This recipe was in the August KC magazine. Since I had apple juice left over from the pork chops I thought this was a great time to try the apple dumplings. If I had extra pork chops I actually would have made more German Pork Chops meal kits for my freezer!

Anyway, while the pork chops were in the oven I made the dumplings. This was very easy to do! The smell was just heavenly! When the pork chops were done I placed the apple dumplings in the oven and let them bake while we ate. We let them set for awhile before trying them. I was addicted at first bite! Just perfect! I ran some to my husband and he just loved them. Yes, them, I think he had 3! My daughter also had a big grin while eating hers and wanted more! One hint: The juice you make for the dumplings is actually enough to make 2 batches. I had juice left over so I just poured it all in the pan and then drained it when they were done.


German Pork Chops
6-8 boneless pork chops or chicken
2 cups apple juice
4 tablespoons HG Sunday Roast

Place all ingredients into a gallon sized freezer bag. Seal and smoosh.
Bake, grill or put in crock pot

Easy Apple Dumplings

1/2 cup apple juice
4 tablespoons HG Spiced Dip
2 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large cooking apples, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
1 8 oz package refrigerated crescent roll dough

1. Preheat over to 375 degrees. Spray an 8-9 in square baking dish with flour based cooking spray.

2. In a sauce pan, stir apple juice, spiced dip and butter over medium low heat until butter melts and spiced dip dissolves.

3. put sugar in a bowl and toss apple wedges to coat.

4. Unroll dough and separate sections. Place 2 apples wedges along the wide edge of each dough piece. Roll up dough around the apple.

5. Arrange in the baking dish. Drizzle the juice mixture over the dumplings. Turn each dumpling over to coat in mixture.

6. Bake, uncovered for 25 minutes or until golden and apples are tender. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.

Serves 8

No comments: